Friday, August 31, 2012

Focus and Leverage Part 138

Several weeks ago I sent copy of Bruce Nelson and my book, Epiphanized: Integrating Theory of Constraints, Lean and Six Sigma.  to a member of the US Marines, Michael Teegardin.  Michael is an Aircraft Maintenance Chief at Camp Pendleton, California.  Michael read the book and then sent me the most wonderful review that I wanted to share with you.  I am humbled by members of our armed services for the service they provide to all of use.  Here is Michael's email:
 
Sir,
I apologize in advance because my words cannot truly convey the level of enlightenment that your book has provided.  It is an amazing read...the flow is finely tuned and the appendices provide clarity and purpose.
 
I am now going through to transcribe my notes, ear tabs and highlighted text.  My immediate interest was caught when the text mentioned "leadership not understanding capacity" and the "shot-gun" mentality used to improve a system.  Additionally, the value of describing each step and introducing new material is powerful.  I, with your permission, would like to pursue in having this text added to the required reading list as Marines/Sailors progress with CPI training.
 
The imparted knowledge has spiked my interest in the manner material is delivered to the intermediate and organizational levels.  The cultures between the two are vastly different; however, the training material is the same.  Often times, I am approached and asked how to apply the methodologies of TOC, LEAN, and SIX SIGMA after students have completed the course.  One recommendation, similar to the LSS Black Belt training I received, is to introduce the class to a project(s) that will be complete after the training.  This will provide 'real time' projects/events concurrent with the training.  Additionally, I am in the process of compiling a document, book format, capturing the successes that intermediate and organizational activities have gained through CPI within rotary and fixed wing units encompassing the DON.  My intent is to provide application of learned methodologies in relation to repair, remove/replace, table of organization (T/O), aircraft utilization, phase maintenance, standardized/improved maintenance manuals, MOS training, Qualifications/Certifications/Licenses, Green side training, flight hour goals, and unscheduled maintenance.
Thank you,
Best Regards,
MGySgt M. R. Teegardin
Aircraft Maintenance Chief
HMLA-267? "Stingers"
 
Thank you Michael,
 
Bob Sproull

No comments: